Saturday, May 12, 2012

Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City Anyone?

Okay so here we are on Day 3 in Beijing. We were up at about 6:00 a.m. packing and preparing to check out. We decided to splurge and eat at the hotel for breakfast today. It was such a blessing! We headed down and ordered 2 “American Breakfasts” and some a la cart stuff for Noah. We stuffed ourselves and for the first time on this trip I can say I felt full…Noah would echo this statement. He so loved the bacon that we rounded up any pieces left over and snuck them up to the room where I put them in a Ziploc baggie. The bacon is currently in my carry on under the seat in front of me, we are on the flight to Chongqing as I type this, but more on that later.

We went to Tiananmen’s Square this morning which was surreal. I mean, am I seriously in China? We took some pictures and as we were leaving the square for the Forbidden City a woman grabbed Noah by the arm and tugged him to her 4 year old son, clearly wanting a picture. When Noah didn’t protest she drug him by the arm about 25 feet away to center him up with the Forbidden City in the background. Noah was a little freaked out, as was I but we were both a good sport and he had his picture taken.

IMG_0409IMG_0410IMG_0420IMG_0423IMG_0427IMG_0432

Forbidden City. Wow. I don’t think I mentioned that there were more people here than at Disney World in high season. I’m talking freak you out massive amounts of people. But we went anyway. While waiting on the boys to return from the restroom before going in to the City, I was involved in a mini photo shoot. I noticed a woman pointing a camera in my general direction but there was not prominent scenery behind me. I switched my stance and bumped into a man who was trying to surreptitiously stand next to me for his wife to take his picture. When I realized what was going on I laughed out loud as he tried to quickly move away. I grabbed him by the shoulders and turned him around t his wife and put my arm over his shoulders. His wife laughed out loud and said thank you, then their entire tour group turned around and whipped out cameras and two more ladies got their picture taken with me. It was hilarious! Side note to Victor and Janelle…yes, I know why. Noah was only photographed one more time but it was less aggressive and they asked his and my permission first. But enough of our 30 seconds of fame. The Forbidden City is just simply amazing. Another side note to Victor and Janelle…Noah LOVED the clock collection, we have a picture (no joke) of every clock now on his new camera. Thanks for the advise! He actually ran his battery completely down.

IMG_0445IMG_0437IMG_0443IMG_0444IMG_0449IMG_0456IMG_0471IMG_0521IMG_0481IMG_0554

 

When we were done with the Forbidden City we headed to the The Great Wall of China restaurant, much to Noah’s dismay. From there we thought we might go visit the Temple of Heaven, but instead chose to head on to the airport to see if we could catch an earlier flight to Chongqing. We were able to secure seats on a flight that leave 2 hours earlier than our original departure time. Lydia called our guide Michael in Chongqing to verify that the earlier flight would be alright with him and he said it was okay. So instead of arriving at 10 pm we will arrive at 8 pm. Yay!! The best part is that it was free to change flights! Thank you sweet Lydia you were great and we miss you!

IMG_0576

That is all for now, I hope I have nothing to report between now and tomorrow! Looking for a easy evening settling in to the hotel. Less than 48 hours and we will get our little girl! It hardly seems real!!!!! We can’t wait! Keep us in your prayers dear ones. End Day 3 in Beijing.

3 comments:

  1. I'm cracking up at the picture chaos you created :)
    SOOO excited you are in Chongqing now. Prayers for Hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so enjoying sharing your journey from afar and cannot wait to "meet" your newest daughter in more pictures! May the Lord pave the way before you so it is smooth and filled with joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool is this trip?! Awesome photographs & stories!

    ReplyDelete